While photography sounds fun, it can sometimes be exhausting. The challenge is real when it comes to carrying your camera around and using it carefully to avoid breaking pricey lenses. However, only true photographers know the importance of high-quality leather camera straps.
Leather camera straps are excellent if you want to give your arms a rest. If you need to buy a perfect leather camera strap, we have some ideas for you. Also at the end of this article, let’s check what you should look out for.
Table of Content
Things to Look Out For
Buying a camera strap isn’t as simple as it looks. There are tons of features that can greatly differentiate one camera strap from another. To get a better understanding of these factors, we’ll give you a quick buyer’s guide when it comes to buying your perfect leather camera strap.
Material and Build Quality
Since we’re talking about leather camera straps, the main material should be leather. However, there are tons of camera straps that successfully combine several materials like leather, metal, foam, fabric, and similar. This shouldn’t discourage you from buying a particular strap.
Many quality straps, including cowhide or calf leather, as their primary material. There are also nylon camera straps that usually go along with PU leather. PU leather isn’t true leather, meaning that durability and build quality aren’t exactly the best. The build quality depends on many factors, including material and dimensions.
Length and Width
The sheer length and width are two very important factors for a leather camera strap. On average, they can range anywhere from 39 inches to around 46 inches in length.
While 39 inches is still considered rather short, 46 inches is a decent length for a tall person. Thankfully, many of those can be fine-tuned to adequately suit your needs.
When it comes to the width, you should opt for a wider strap if you want to carry a tad bigger and heavier camera. If the strap is wider than 1 inch, it’s considered pretty good and durable. Thinner straps are great for smaller and medium-sized cameras but don’t expect them to be ultra-durable and strong.
Flexibility is when a certain strap can adapt to the user’s needs quickly. This means that the length of the strap can be adjusted and in some cases, the strap could be flexible.
Flexible straps are usually made of PU leather and nylon, but these are less of quality than true leather straps. When it comes to adjusting the length, it should be easy and hassle-free. The user should be able to adapt the strap to his own needs in just a couple of seconds.
Not every strap is for every camera. That’s why buying a camera strap isn’t as easy as buying toothpaste. Some straps are compatible only with round camera lugs, while some are compatible with almost every camera model out there. Aside from that, the compatibility can be associated with the strap’s thickness. If it’s very thin, you can’t grab your gigantic DSLR camera and just slap it there.
To prevent buying the wrong camera strap, it’s best to inform yourself on the manufacturer’s website to see if your camera is compatible with the strap. This is compulsory if you want to make a good purchase.
Aesthetics aren’t as important as build quality. However, if you love having a pretty camera strap, you can consider this as an important factor.
Aesthetics can vary in many different styles and colors, and there are tons of different camera straps out there. The most important is that you like it.
Top 16 Best Leather Camera Straps in 2023
ONA is a company that’s been with us for quite some time and has perfected its crafting technology. This is a handcrafted strap that’s crafted with a lot of love and attention to detail. At first glance, we can see the premium leather and when we touch it, the feeling is priceless! Not only that, but ONA included some premium canvas, just to mix things up.
If you’re worried about durability, you’ll be glad to hear that this one can carry up to 6 pounds of weight. 6 pounds is 2.7 kilos, which means you’ll be able to carry a fairly large lens mounted to your camera. This leather strap is intended mostly for professionals, hence buying it for your tiny little camera won’t do you any special favor.
Since this is a neck strap, ONA included a neoprene-padded neckline to prevent the strap from cutting into your skin. This grants a comfortable, prolonged use, great for time-consuming photo sessions. When it comes to length, the strap can extend from 19.5 inches to 23.5 inches – decent enough!
- Build quality is excellent
- The strap feels premium to the touch
- Comfortable neoprene-padded neckline
- A bit pricey
- Maybe too long for some users
- THE ORIGINAL LEATHER CAMERA HARNESS This dual camera strap is designed to carry 1, 2 or 3 cameras comfortably and stylishly.
- Designed in an X style pattern across the back, this distributes the weight of large and small cameras perfectly so your strap does not shift and become uncomfortable.
- Our patented design is made with all custom designed stainless steel hardware so you gear will last forever and never rust.
HoldFast Gear MoneyMaker can provide you with a lot of space for your cameras. This one can hold two cameras simultaneously!
The harness has an “X” shape across the back, and at the front, the cameras go parallel to your hips. Obviously, this one is for those who must carry two cameras around. Being a strap for two cameras, this one is pretty solid, yet soft. With its low rigidity, comfort is almost guaranteed, even with prolonged use.
You can wander around without touching any of your cameras. With its hands-free use, you can walk your dog and carry your babies while having your camera around.
- Can carry two cameras
- Hands-free use
- Low rigidity
- Very expensive
- Herringbone DSLR SLR Camera Leather Hand Grip Strap with a Plate(Heritage Type1)
- This is intended for any type of DSLR SLR Camera and a plate necessary for connection is included
- Color : Antique Brown Materials : Genuine Leather
Herringbone Heritage managed to craft an exquisite hand strap. This hand strap looks and feels premium. Despite its affordable price, it has increased ergonomics and amazing tenderness.
Another wonderful feature is its superb build quality. When you put your hand here, it’ll feel like a natural thing, which is great for prolonged use by professional photographers.
While this hand strap is compatible with a vast majority of models, there are still some models that can give you some trouble. For example, A7S II or Nikon D800’s buttons can be blocked by the strap, giving you a hard time using them. If you own one of these models, it is recommended to skip this one.
- The soft leather feels amazing
- Affordable price
- Incompatible with some cameras
- Specifically for shooters of small to medium sized cameras who value a classic minimalist look, robust yet soft feel & high quality
- Handmade with care in the US using premium full-grain, vegetable-tanned leather in 8 oz. thickness for insurance against painfully expensive drops
- Made for film and digital cameras such as the Leica M, Canon AE-1 and Fujifilm X series (DSLR shooters welcome too!)
This leather strap from Makemoves is made for those who enjoy photography as a hobby. That being said, a professional or aspiring professional should generally avoid this one. Made for medium-sized and small cameras, this strap’s low rigidity will provide enough boost for point-and-shoot photo snapping.
The first reason for this is it’s relatively thin. Although it is made of premium leather, you cannot expect it to hold your professional camera that well. If you try, however, you’ll get some of the straps cut into your neck skin since it doesn’t have any padding. The absence of neck padding can make you uneasy.
Overall, if you don’t care about the minimalistic look, decreased durability, and limited use, this strap is a great deal.
- Premium soft vegetable-tanned leather
- Hefty price
- Great for medium-sized and small cameras
- The strap is a bit thinner
- No neck padding
- Only for cameras with round lugs
Made from the purest cowhide, this heavy leather camera strap is thick. The thickest part of the strap goes around your neck, touching your shoulders and reaching slightly under your torso. The bottom part of the strap is also made of leather and includes attachments that can easily connect with your camera’s strap lugs.
There are also quick-release clasps that allow you to easily change your gear as you go. This feature is great if you want to quickly change between the two cameras since you can’t carry two of them simultaneously with this strap.
Luckily, Heavy Leather NYC thought about every photographer’s struggle. While this isn’t the longest strap on the list, the length is adjustable and very flexible.
- Great use of cowhide
- Able to carry a lot of weight
- Flexible length
- Quick-release clasps are excellent
- It could be a little cheaper
- Vintage 3" Simulated Leather Shoulder Pad
- Can be used on either left side or right side
- Durable polypropylene webbing
Movo Vintage Leather Sling Strap is a bit different product than some of the mentioned. As its name suggests, it’s a sling strap that uses a sling hook fastener to connect to your camera.
It’s the upper part of the camera that has a little hole where the hook fastener can connect. By doing this, you grant your camera a bit more freedom, which is great for taking photos from complex angles and positions without having to remove the strap.
As for the build quality and thickness, this one is very thick and offers some sturdiness to make sure your camera doesn’t fall off. Another premium feature is neoprene padding. Having said that, the strap is extremely comfortable around your neck and shoulders.
With its shoulder sling design and quick-release clip feature, you can’t say anything bad about this product. And if we take a look at its weight of 5.6 ounces, it packs quite amazing capabilities.
- Very thick and durable
- Neoprene padding is a welcome addition
- Comfortable for prolonged use
- Hard to get by at the moment
Eric Kim isn’t a company, but indeed a legendary photographer who designed his own leather strap. Aside from being designed by a great street photographer, this strap pucks a punch, especially for the money. With its length of 36 to 44 inches, this one is pretty long.
Eric Kim managed to include some padding around the neck, alongside a flexible end for added convenience. As it’s made for street photography, it doesn’t boast that shiny, eye-catching design, but rather a rustic, minimalistic design.
If you’re a street photographer and want a great strap for occasional photoshoots, this one is amazing.
- Padded design at a low price
- Street photography oriented
- Premium-grade leather
- Not-so-impressive design
- Lack of thickness
- THE ULTIMATE CAMERA NECK STRAP: If you are looking for an elegant yet durable neck strap for your beloved camera, then we got you covered. We have designed the most durable in time yet sleek and stylish neck camera strap that will satisfy even the most demanding photo shooting needs! Its design makes this camera strap ideal for both men and women of all ages.
- 100% GENUINE LEATHER DESIGN: Forget all those cheaply made almost plastic camera straps and invest on this truly authentic leather camera strap. It is made from durable leather that allows this shoulder strap to be extremely resilient and ready for some heavy-duty use. Its 100% fine construction along with the strong leather will make this your favorite camera neck strap for the many years to come.
- EXQUISITE DESIGN FOR THE DEMANDING PHOTOGRAPHER: Do not compromise with anything less than perfection when it comes to your camera accessories. Invest on this well-crafted comfortable stylish camera strap, add the vintage looking style of this strap to your daily shooting.
Inspire in Time Camera Neck Strap is one of those straps that you simply know it’s going to be great, simply by looking at it. If we take a deeper glance at it, we can see that this isn’t ordinary leather, but a combination of two types of leather.
Indeed, it feels solid, yet tender to the touch. When you take a look at its bottom part, you’ll see that it’s easy to attach and detach. This strap will serve you great for both small and huge cameras, making it a great investment for professional photographers.
For those concerned about the metal parts, it’s great to know that the strap doesn’t have many of them. You don’t have to be worried about some metal parts scratching or damaging your camera, which is great to know.
- Made of 2 types of leather for increased durability
- Easy to attach and detach
- Great for a wide variety of cameras
- Not so comfortable after prolonged use
- 10% OFF FLASH SALE CODE: FLASHSALE99
- TOP QUALITY! Why Do Men & Women Give Our Camera straps 5-Star Ratings? It’s simple. Our product is the #1 choice because our leather is professional grade quality, you'll be able to use it for years without it wearing out. This is great because this will be the last photo leash you will ever have to buy!
- ADJUSTABLE! If you’ve been looking for a crossbody strap that is easy to adjust (40-45" long ), then your search is over! That’s because our product has a unique release option (no clips) which means that it fits perfect, every time, guaranteed!
bStill Leather Camera Strap is a less-fancy strap but does its job amazingly well. Available in Camel and Dark Brown colors, this camera strap looks nice, especially for its modest price.
It’s fairly adjustable and can go all the way from 40 inches to 45 inches, which is a decent length. However, while the strap is a bit thicker around the neck area, there isn’t any kind of padding, making it uncomfortable for excessive use.
On the brighter side, there are a lot of tiny details that make this leather strap a bit more special. One of those details is the leather inlet that prevents your camera from scratching against the strap’s metal parts.
All in all, this strap is for less-demanding users that prioritize function over aesthetics. And it’s fairly cheap, too!
- Amazing value for the money
- High-quality leather at a good price
- The leather inlet is a clever decision
- Easy to use
- It’s on the thinner side
- Very flexible
If you are an amateur photographer or you do photography just for fun, you aren’t going to spend money on a leather camera strap. In that case, you can buy a camera strap that costs less, such as the Bluecell Leather Camera strap. It has an affordable price and a great price-to-performance ratio.
It doesn’t look that premium. However, its gentle brown color and strong black color at the bottom side look fairly decent. The whole strap is covered with nylon, making it weatherproof and somewhat lightweight.
Being a lightweight strap, don’t expect it to carry an enormous amount of weight. This strap is made for those with shallow pockets and not-so-big cameras.
- Nylon grants additional durability and is weatherproof
- Great value for the money
- Lightweight and comfortable to use
- Decent aesthetics
- Not for bigger cameras
- No true leather
- Questionable durability over time
- Adjustable for comfort and convenience
- Designed to fit any make compact system cameras
- Adds an unique style to your cameras
This company has been into photography for years, knowing exactly what photographers need. A photographer’s struggle is sometimes real and spending a lot of money on a fancy camera strap isn’t always an option. In that case, this shoulder strap might ring some bells amongst our readers.
While not exactly a leather strap, this one has some leather in it, with the rest of the strap being made of fabric. The chocolate brown color looks gentle and adds that retro feeling to it.
This one comes with some padding on it. The neck padding is a first-rate feature because its absence can be uncomfortable to use. The strap is comfortable, soft, and generally feels nice to use.
As for the camera compatibility, the manufacturer says it’s for compact cameras. Being 39 inches long, this one is pretty short, so if you are very tall, you’ll probably want to steer away from it.
- Beautiful chocolate brown color and retro design
- Padded design for increased comfort
- Since it’s affordable, it’s great for amateur photographers
- Solid stitching
- There’s not much leather on the strap
- 39 inches is a bit short
- Camera and Lens not included in sale
- Approx Size : 43.3in X 0.43in (110Cm X 1.1Cm) , Color : Brown
- Material : Art. Havana - Italian Vegetable tanned Cow Leather (G.B s.p.a, italy)
Speaking of that vintage look, Zeffiro Leather Camera Strap nailed it! It’s thin, beautiful, and available in three colors: waxy black, black, and brown. The brown one is the clear choice even though the black one isn’t as striking and clearly does away with the retro vibe.
Zeffiro uses the finest Italian leather to show off its impressive craftsmanship on every product. The true Italian leather will caress your soul every time you touch it and to be honest, the straps look quite durable.
However, this strap is only for small or medium-sized cameras. But it has a tiny protective leather pad that comes with a metal ring. It prevents your camera from getting scratched by a metal ring that connects to the sides.
A genuine, vegetable-tanned Italian leather and eye-catching design are the main highlights of this product. All in all, Zeffiro Leather Camera Strap would probably suit a vast majority of photographers, including some professionals. And its length of 43 inches is just right!
- Attractive vintage look
- Amazing Italian leather-based craftsmanship
- Affordable price
- Thin design
- Not suitable for large DSLR cameras
Cam-In Leather Camera Strap is simple – a stunning black color! If you are inclined towards a darker look, this camera strap is a must-buy!
It comes with high-quality cowhide and the whole strap is smooth, with a great premium feeling. The metal parts are reduced to a minimum, with only rings for connecting with your camera being made of metal. Despite this, it’s a great camera strap for heavy metal lovers!
When it comes to the quality of this particular cowhide, we can say it’s stellar. Cowhide is known to be of high quality, especially a vegetable-tanned one.
The main issue here is the width of this strap and it’s only 12 mm or 1.2 cm. Converted to inches, it’s merely half of an inch. With this in mind, the manufacturers state that the strap is only for small and medium-sized cameras.
If you’re okay with 39 inches of length and a bit thinner strap, this one is a great buy. It’s not exactly the most durable strap for the price, but its aesthetics are going to make up for it.
- Stylish, modern look
- Affordable price
- Cowhide is very quality
- Protective leather pad
- It’s very thin and a bit short
- Not suitable for bigger cameras
- Not everyone likes the black color
This elastic strap comes with a combination of nylon and leather, which has been put to good use here. While providing it with decent aesthetics and an eye-catching look, another great feature of nylon is that it’s weatherproof.
Since we’re talking about PU leather here (not real leather), the whole strap is lightweight, making it fairly comfortable to use. Lightweight always means less durable, which is, unfortunately, the case here. Nonetheless, the strap is great for smaller cameras.
The upper portion of the strap isn’t made of any kind of leather. Instead, it looks like it’s made of fabric, but it isn’t so smooth. Furthermore, there isn’t any neck padding, which can give you a hard time during prolonged use.
On the brighter side, the strap is very elastic, thanks to its PU leather and a bit of nylon, making it far more flexible than some straps at the same price.
CEARI Premium Nylon Camera strap is aimed at users that want a strap with low rigidity, solid durability, and aesthetics at an affordable price.
- Weatherproof characteristics
- Very flexible and lightweight
- Low rigidity grants additional comfort and ergonomics
- Not real leather
Ruberu camera strap looks pretty awesome, lying just between that modern and stylish retro look. This strap also comes in several different color variants: brown, black, red, navy, and green.
Moreover, this is made of original tanned leather with a touch of calf leather for a shoulder pad. You will be pleasantly surprised that your neck didn’t suffer after a few-hour wedding photoshoot. This one is also a bit more rigid but still, you can’t say it’s unbearable. The quality still speaks for itself.
Aside from high-quality camera straps, Roberu also makes amazing ring belts and phone cases, which you might want to check out. This company has been one of my favorites for a long time and not without a reason.
- Calf leather offers amazing quality
- The strap looks elegant
- It’s suitable even for bigger cameras, although not the biggest ones
- Way too expensive
- Higher rigidity than other camera straps
- COMFORT - Our straps are made from soft, genuine leather and suede backing for added comfort. As the leather ages, your strap will become even more supple and comfortable.
- DURABLE - Our straps are made tough, with the adventurer in mind, our leather camera straps can withstand any element.
- SECURE - Once these leather straps secure to your to your camera, you will have peace of mind and can forget the worry of a cheap stock strap breaking or ripping
This strap has the following measurements: 7.3 x 1.7 x 1. It is made of soft, 100% leather with a suede backing for increased comfort, and it is made to work with DSLRs or mirrorless cameras.
As the leather matures, your strap will become progressively softer and more comfortable. After these leather straps are secured to your camera, providing security, you won’t have to worry about a cheap stock strap tearing or snapping.
This was created with explorers in mind, which makes it durable and sturdy. In mountains, deserts, lakes, and oceans all over the world, this straps’ sturdiness has been put to the test.
The firm uses dyes that won’t fade in all of their products, which makes these straps resistant to water and sunlight. This is also weatherproof, so it can withstand rain, snow, and sleet.
- Constructed from soft, genuine leather with a suede back
- 10 inches of adjustment leeway on either side of the strap
- Sharp edges
- Is not very comfy to wear